Tuesday, February 25, 2014

And so it began...

As I pulled into the parking lot, displaying my recently-acquired security pass, I sensed a literal shift in my circumstance. A once fill-time journalist now working freelance, this was my chance. Years of countless employment applications were culminating in this moment: I was finally on set at Turner Classic Movies.

I vividly recall the moment I fell in love with classic cinema. It was fifth grade and I was seated on the floor with my classmates to watch some long movie called “Gone With the Wind.” The room, previously dark, sparked to Technicolor life and a raven-haired woman sat on a southern porch flanked by two beaus. She was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen…

Now, nearly 20 years later, here I was assisting scriptwriter M.A. Glenn and a Georgia State University student intern with last minute changes for TCM host Robert Osborne. Script in hand, I watched as Osborne delivered the lines I had helped craft. The moment marked the culmination of my two passions, and spawned a realization: this is what I want to do for the rest of my life.

Professional attempts to get in a Turner had not proven fruitful. In the economic downturn, the company had, like so many, been implementing cutbacks. Budgets were shoestring, and Glenn assured me the company was not hiring—but it was accepting applications for student interns.

The decision was made before I left the studio: I would return to school. I would attend Georgia State University and get my Masters in film. I would write for television.

No comments:

Post a Comment