Friday, June 15, 2012

Damage

There are times I wonder if I should reveal

If I should show

those cracks in the veneer that so many others choose to hide

in cupboards or back rooms

If I should really open my hands

and my heart

to complete strangers

and treat them with the intimacy

of friends

and lovers.

But in those times

when I see those few turn away

walk away...

I am reminded that it is worth it

if I can make just one person

turn around.

My sister once told me

that I lay bare

those things everyone feels

but no one else says.

You walk

the walk

of daily life

harboring squalls

beneath the veneer of smooth seas

My squalls rage

hurricanes

Ships grounded

lives ruined

taken...

But I wonder which

--your storms or mine--

really cause the most damage.

No comments:

Post a Comment