Friday, March 30, 2012

Chivalry isn't dead. It's just high.

So I was filming on the Georgia State University campus today.
My role? A stalking victim.

Allow me to pain the picture for you:

Lil' white girl in pretty dress is followed incessantly by scary black man with camera.

Let the terror ensue.



Take 1:
Lil' white girl in pretty dress walks across the campus courtyard, followed closely by scary black man with camera.
Lil' white girl in pretty dress notices scary black man with camera.
Lil white girl in pretty dress confronts scary black man with camera: "Are you following me?"
Scary black man with camera: "Oh no, no, no."
Lil' white girl in pretty dress continues walking. Scary black man with camera continues stalking.
Lil' white girl in pretty dress again turns, "Seriously, dude, leave me alone" before taking off, walking faster this time.
Scary black man with camera continues to follow...

Then, from over the din of people milling about (and staring) in the GSU courtyard, a yell--

"Hey! HEEEEEY!"

Lil' girl in pretty dress and scary black man with camera turn in time to see a handsome male student who appears to be of Middle Eastern/Arabic descent who grabs scary black man with camera by the arm.

"Dude, does this lady know you are following her?"

Scary black man (aka my friend and the director of the film, Jamiel): "Yeah, dude. Yeah. We're shooting a movie."

"Seriously? Seriously, 'cause you're following her and that's not cool. Do you know he's filming you? Is he bothering you?"

Lil white girl in pretty dress (aka. me) runs to the rescue of Jamiel, who, by this time, is completely taken aback by my knight in shining t-shirt. "Oh yes. Yes. We are filming. I promise you. I knew he was there the whole time."

"Are you sure?"

"Oh yes. Thank you so much, but we really are just filming. everything is ok."

"Ok 'cuz, you know, we have to watch out for you. I mean, as a guy, I can look out for myself you know. But, as a girl--you are so beautiful, by the way--seriously, can I have your number? Anyway, as a girl, you know, we have to look out for you."

"Thank you, sir. Thank you so much for looking out for me. What was your name?"

"Oh Musa. Like Moose with an 'uh' on the end of it. Seriously though, you're gorgeous. Can I have your number?"

...

I walked my hero back to his seat before preparing for take 2.
As I did so, my mind buzzed with several things:
1. that if Jamiel had contined filming that shot, it would've been hella perfect for the movie.
2. that chivalry is NOT dead and that I will be eternally grateful to Musa for intervening on my behalf.
3. that, despite the many stares we got on campus while filming this obviously frightening scene, only Musa was man enough to stand up and say anything. Only Musa was man enough to attempt to do anything. And that, my friends, scares the absolute shit out of me. What kind of world do we live in where a woman is being openly harassed and no one steps in to help? Terrifying and eye opening.
4. pretty sure Musa was high as a fucking kite.

No comments:

Post a Comment